Tendermint is now Ignite
Tendermint Core is now Ignite Core
What is Tendermint
- Tendermint is a consensus algorithm with Byzantine Fault-Tolerance (BFT) and a consensus engine. It enables applications to be replicated in sync on many machines. Blockchain networks require BFT to ensure proper function even with malfunctioning or malicious nodes present. The result is known as a Replicated State Machine with Byzantine Fault Tolerance. It guarantees BFT properties for distributed systems and their applications.It does this:
- More here
- Securely - Tendermint continues working even if up to 1/3rd of machines fail or misbehave.
- Consistently - every machine computes the same state and accesses the same transaction log.
- Tendermint is widely used across the industry and is the most mature BFT consensus engine for Proof-of-Stake (PoS) blockchains.
- Tendermint Core is a blockchain application platform; it provides the equivalent of a web-server, database, and supporting libraries for blockchain applications written in any programming language. Like a web-server serving web applications, Tendermint serves blockchain applications.
- More on what is Tendermint here: https://docs.tendermint.com/v0.35/introduction/what-is-tendermint.html
The purpose of ABCI (Application BlockChain Interface) is to provide a clean interface between any finite, deterministic state transition machine on one computer and the mechanics of a blockchain-based replication engine across multiple computers (aka consensus engine, which involves the consensus and networking layers).
Tendermint Core & the Application Blockchain Interface (ABCI)
- Tendermint consists of two chief technical components: a blockchain consensus engine and a generic application interface. The consensus engine, called Tendermint Core, ensures that the same transactions are recorded on every machine in the same order. The application interface, called the Application Blockchain Interface (ABCI), enables the transactions to be processed in any programming language.
- Tendermint has evolved to be a general purpose blockchain consensus engine that can host arbitrary application states. Since Tendermint can replicate arbitrary applications, it can be used as a plug-and-play replacement for the consensus engines of other blockchains. Ethermint is such an example of an ABCI application replacing Ethereum's PoW via Tendermint's consensus engine.
- Another example of a cryptocurrency application built on Tendermint is the Cosmos network. Tendermint is able to decompose the blockchain design by offering a very simple API (ie. the ABCI) between the application process and consensus process.
History of Tendermint
- Tendermint is essentially the oldest company in the Cosmos ecosystem.
- The co-founders of Cosmos, Jae Kwon and Ethan Buchman, also were the co-founders of Tendermint Inc., and Tendermint was formed in 2014 even before Cosmos was an idea.
- Kwon invented the original Tendermint mechanism in 2014. Buchman and Kwon began working together in 2015, and jointly founded Tendermint Inc by the end of the year.
“I joined Tendermint as its first employee in late 2015, and when I joined, we were focusing on the Tendermint consensus protocol for enterprise blockchain. But after we decided to focus on the idea of Cosmos and launching the Cosmos, the “internet of blockchains,” our mission changed to building out the network, creating as much sovereign blockchains as possible and allowing people to control their own network with on-chain governance, but at the same time, be allowed to transfer assets between each other. There is a lot of potential in blockchain to really reshape collaboration and connectivity and decision-making across the world. We’ve seen a lot of examples of this with the chains that are IBC-enabled right now and we see a future where there will be hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands and a million blockchains further in the future and that’s what we’re building towards.” - Peng Zhong (Tendermint CEO & President)
- Effective today, All in Bits, Inc. DBA “Tendermint”, which rebranded to ‘Ignite” in February 2022, announces the creation of two independent entities — Ignite Inc. and NewTendermint Inc.
- More here
Tendermint Core Documentation
- https://forkast.news/tendermint-ceo-peng-zhong-cosmos-ecosystem/#:~:text=Tendermint is essentially the oldest,before Cosmos was an idea.
- https://medium.com/coinmonks/cosmos-tendermint-explained-for-real-idiots-ab4305cbb41#:~:text=Tendermint is the software and,by the creators of Tendermint.