Ethermint is now Evmos
- This allows developers to have all the desired features of Ethereum, while at the same time, benefit from Tendermint’s PoS implementation.
- Evmos is a scalable, high-throughput Proof-of-Stake blockchain that is fully compatible and interoperable with Ethereum. It's built using the Cosmos SDK (opens new window)which runs on top of Tendermint Core (opens new window)consensus engine.
- Evmos allows for running vanilla Ethereum as a Cosmos (opens new window)application-specific blockchain. This allows developers to have all the desired features of Ethereum, while at the same time, benefit from Tendermint’s PoS implementation. Also, because it is built on top of the Cosmos SDK, it will be able to exchange value with the rest of the Cosmos Ecosystem through the Inter Blockchain Communication Protocol (IBC).
- As the Cosmos SDK is modular, developers can port existing codebases in Go on top of the SDK. This allows developers to build on Cosmos without having to compromise too much on the toolset and environment used.
- For example, with Evmos developers can use the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) from the main Go Ethereum client as a Cosmos SDK module, which is compatible and combinable with existing modules.
- Evmos is a software developed to port the EVM into a Cosmos module. It makes scalable, high-throughput, PoS blockchains possible. These are fully compatible with Ethereum and the Cosmos SDK. Evmos is Web3 compatible, and achieves high throughput with Tendermint and horizontal scaling with IBC. It provides a Web3, JSON-RPC layer to interact with Ethereum clients and tooling.
- For more on Evmos, consult the Evmos documentation.
- All Ethereum tools (such as Truffle and Metamask) are compatible with Evmos. Developers can even port their Solidity smart contracts to interact with the Cosmos Ecosystem. Building a chain is not necessary to develop Cosmos-compatible smart contracts, it can be all done with Evmos. However, while Evmos allows running vanilla Ethereum as a Cosmos application-specific blockchain, developers benefit from the Tendermint BFT.
Here’s a glance at some of the key features of Evmos:
- Web3 and EVM compatibility
- High throughput via Tendermint Core(opens new window)
- Horizontal scalability via IBC(opens new window)
- Fast transaction finality
Evmos enables these key features by:
- Implementing Tendermint Core's Application Blockchain Interface (ABCI (opens new window)) to manage the blockchain
- Leveraging modules (opens new window)and other mechanisms implemented by the Cosmos SDK (opens new window).
geth(opens new window)as a library to promote code reuse and improve maintainability.
- Exposing a fully compatible Web3 JSON-RPC layer for interacting with existing Ethereum clients and tooling (Metamask, Remix, Truffle, etc).
The sum of these features allows developers to leverage existing Ethereum ecosystem tooling and software to seamlessly deploy smart contracts which interact with the rest of the Cosmos ecosystem (opens new window)!
Evmos Mainnet (not yet live)