Simple definition of Block Header
- This is the meta-data for the block, which consists of some basic information about the block, including the Merkle root of transactions.
- Block headers identify individual blocks in a blockchain.
- They’re hashed to create a proof of work for mining rewards.
- The blocks are layered vertically, starting with the “genesis block.”
- Each block header contains three sets of block metadata and multiple individual components.
- The Bitcoin version number helps you to keep track of changes in the protocol.